Saturday, May 7, 2011

Measurement

I wish I could spend even more time on measurement. I find it to be a skill that students need lots of practice with. We introduce measuring length, weight, capacity, temperature both in metric and standard units. That's a lot for students to process and remember! Our pacing guide does not allow a lot of wiggle time so I'm always crunched for time. I did reserve some time for students to put their hands on the tools and units. I'm a firm believer that this type of hands on learning takes longer but in the long run will stick in their memories longer too! Maybe fewer review sessions??









Here we are doing an activity that I call, "Make and Measure". Students are given playdoh and instructions on what to make and then they need to mark their creations and measure them using inch or centimeter units. We always graph the data afterwards in some way. Here are some pics of kids hard at word and engaged! If they do a good job listening and working they got 5 minutes free time with the playdo afterwards. Boy, did they want to play!! Best listening all day!














0 comments:

Post a Comment