Sunday, February 5, 2012

Possessive Nouns Lesson and Song

Recently we tackled the possessive noun. I try to connect my skills lessons to actual reading or writing activities whenever I can. For our lesson on possessives I introduced the word "possess" and "possession" and we added these words to the "Words to know" section of our reading journal. Then I read aloud this super cute book:






If you are not familiar with Wodney you MUST seek these books out. Third graders love this character! Looking at the title we talked about why the author used the apostrophe in writing the title and I introduced the possessive noun.

Following the introduction lesson, we learned the possessive noun song. We sing a lot in our class. I find it to be a great way to get information to stick in students' brains. We glued this into our note section of our writing journals and brainstormed examples to write. Then we did the zip around which was like SCOOT. I set an object at each station and students rotated through. They named each one and turned it into a possessive noun. An example would be to set a book there. Students could write the noun "book" and make it possessive by writing: "book's chapters". This gave them practice using the apostrophe.




Possessive Nouns Song
A day or so later I read this ABC book. Also cute read aloud and good review of proper nouns.

We then made our own Possessive Noun ABC book. Each student took a page. We will keep this in our classroom library as a way to review this part of speech.











































































































































































































0 comments:

Post a Comment